One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unrealistic feeling of general inadequacy caused by actual or supposed inferiority in one sphere, sometimes marked by aggressive behaviour in compensation.
- ‘Is it possible to have both a superiority complex and an inferiority complex?’
- ‘Studies also show that such children suffer from a marked inferiority complex.’
- ‘In fact, they have an inferiority complex and are intellectually dwarfed.’
- ‘Even his fondest memories are tinged by the infamous inferiority complex that continues to drive him.’
- ‘Europe suffers from a collective inferiority complex, seeming to be helpless against the tides of the new century.’
- ‘After centuries of carping prompted by an understandable inferiority complex, Lancastrians are coming to accept that Yorkshire knows best.’
- ‘They gaze in wonder at our modesty and chuckle at our inferiority complex.’
- ‘This was a mark not of a cultural inferiority complex, but of confidence.’
- ‘Jackie sometimes claims he had an inferiority complex, a cultural cringe, another legacy of dyslexia and his Scottish upbringing.’
- ‘Perhaps their apprehension comes from a lingering inferiority complex which has not yet matured beyond its second-class status.’
- ‘We all understood that he was venting his inferiority complex on his wife.’
- ‘These both stem from the same source: a national inferiority complex.’
- ‘Nicholas is doing better, but suffers from an inferiority complex that is magnified when separated from Patrick.’
- ‘She hurried out into the street, happy to be alone in the crowd and away from Leo who was clearly dealing with an inferiority complex.’
- ‘Not everything is about you and your inferiority complex!’
- ‘Any inferiority complex is a two-way street, and outsiders have contributed to the negative stereotype of Dundee as much as the locals.’
- ‘What's more, the Continent is suffering from an inferiority complex.’
- ‘Can we overcome the imposed inferiority complex about white people by making this nation an economic power and a military power?’
- ‘I believe that the unspoken collective view in the compartment was that there was an inferiority complex at play here.’
- ‘But then, I also do have an inferiority complex in certain things.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.