Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or process of supplying material to a machine.
- ‘All fluid milk is packaged into three-sided or four sided plastic dairy cases and conveyed into the cooler on one of two infeed conveyors.’
- ‘Several degrees of automation are available, ranging from semiautomatic hand feeding of product to a fully automated system of product infeed, leaflet insertion, and discharge handling of the completed carton.’
- ‘If the Eskom infeed to Komga has faulted, Mr Van Zyl can contact the Eskom Contact Centre for feedback.’
- ‘The machine is suited for high precision, infeed and single-revolution, thread rolling, worm rolling and roll sizing.’
- ‘Unit completes with dough infeed device and electric eye for automatic survey of the dough tension.’
- ‘It would mean dramatically different sawmilling operations, with only one diameter sort brought to the infeed deck at any given time.’
- ‘With this system, the row-forming infeed conveyor pregroups cases into complete rows.’
- ‘Dannon uses a dual infeed palletizer so that two different products - natural spring water and Danimals Drinkable yogurt - can be palletized at the same time.’
- ‘Sensor height information can speed productivity by overriding the CNC program, providing faster, more rapid infeed information to the next work-piece cut.’
- ‘A machine is designed for fully automated packaging, beginning with a kit or a specified device entering the machine through a right-angle infeed conveyor.’
- ‘So while he was on the cherry picker, rolling out past the fence to the raw-materials yard for the cedar, I fired up the infeed conveyor.’
- ‘This in combination with an AC servomotor drive and a high precision, internally cooled crossfeed ballscrew enable peak accuracies with minimum infeed increments of 0.00001’.’
- ‘This is accomplished with a servo-controlled bag infeed conveyor and a vacuum system for accurate bag positioning.’
- ‘It uses a powerful 5-wheel feed system with an optional track type infeed conveyor.’
- 1.1count noun A mechanism which supplies material to a machine.
- ‘The screw diameter gradually increases from the machine's infeed to the die - either over the entire screw length (as in a universal screw), or over a screw section.’
- ‘The Morgan typically shuttles this material some 75 to 100 metres to the chipper, swinging the drags so the logs are aligned straight into the chipper infeed.’
- ‘While the delimber has removed the quality sawlogs and peelers from the hardwood, the tangled mass of low-grade logs and tops left behind can be a challenging diet for the chipper infeed.’
- ‘Both grinders feature remote-controlled operation, with a 56-in.-high x 48-in.-wide infeed opening and a 40-in.-wide conveyor for stacking material to a height of 18 ft.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.