Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The falling of small objects or other matter on to or into a larger body.‘the infall of debris into a black hole’
- ‘The strong form states that we're constantly being bombarded with biochemical material from space, and that there's a correlation between Viral outbreaks and patterns of infall.’
- ‘K-bentonite horizons, interpreted as altered volcanic infall, are interbedded with the limestones of the Precordillera.’
- ‘The size of this infall is related directly to the amount of matter in the Universe.’
- ‘The stars are nuclear furnaces, where the perpetual gravitational infall is exactly balanced by the outflow of energy generated, literally, at the centre of gravity, the core of the star.’
- ‘If the infall of the ordinary matter were not stopped, there would be no visible galaxies, only black holes surrounded by dark matter.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.