One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Spying directed towards discovering the secrets of a rival manufacturer or other industrial company.
- ‘In this report we review case histories of industrial espionage publicized in the media and in Congressional hearings.’
- ‘I've decided I'm taking the route of industrial espionage because doing it about spies and stuff can create some limits, or so I've been told.’
- ‘Photographic industrial espionage, all very exciting and lucrative.’
- ‘It seems as if a number of renowned companies fell victim to an industrial espionage attack through custom-written Trojan horses and viruses.’
- ‘I comment, lowering my voice ‘Believe it or not, industrial espionage exists - even at our paltry level of commerce.’’
- ‘Workplace safety, industrial espionage, theft and criminal activity, rather than terrorist threats, often are the main security issues in commercial office buildings.’
- ‘The fact that employees are being asked to sell their accident books is a serious breach of contract and amounts to industrial espionage.’
- ‘Well, some of the big things they're after include industrial espionage, trying to shorten the time to market for Russian companies of high-tech items.’
- ‘The software also sent back a ‘worm’ to track the source of the attempts at industrial espionage.’’
- ‘There is the risk of e-commerce transactions being intercepted and industrial espionage, with sensitive commercial data being stolen.’
- ‘The government eventually rescinded the decree, but if it had remained, foreign companies would have faced the threat of industrial espionage by the government.’
- ‘Careless talk - in airport lounges or pubs - is a godsend for practitioners of industrial espionage.’
- ‘What we know of the Indian dyeing techniques is largely the result of industrial espionage.’
- ‘The lower levels of management warn them about industrial espionage committed by other gangs.’
- ‘French and Spanish naval architects, for instance, resorted to industrial espionage to steal the construction secrets of ships such as the Victory.’
- ‘If you are concerned about having your phone calls intercepted by government agencies or are afraid of industrial espionage, digital encryption is the answer.’
- ‘The KGB also helped economic development through industrial espionage abroad.’
- ‘Insider trading should be regulated by existing criminal laws that prohibit industrial espionage and the theft of trade secrets and sensitive commercial information.’
- ‘‘Only where sensitive data is sent outside via cable or radio can a communications surveillance system be used for industrial espionage,’ the report says.’
- ‘They are now expected to be interrogated by police involved in the major industrial espionage investigation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.