One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A tribal councillor or headman.
- ‘Sithembile Langa is one of about 20 indunas of Meadowlands hostel.’
- ‘Myself, my mother and my brother lived at an area under Chief Mpungose and induna Mkhize.’
- ‘He said his office would not tolerate anybody including chiefs and their indunas allowing witch finders to practice in their areas.’
- ‘The claims, he said, prompted Chief Kabanda and his indunas to sit down to find ways of protecting the said land.’
- ‘He also called on the relief food distributing agency in the district to coordinate operations with community leaders, such as indunas and councillors.’
- 1.1 An African foreman.
supervisor, overseer, superintendent, manager, boss, team leader, line manager, controllerView synonyms
- ‘Control on the mines was exercised by white compound managers and supervisors through African indunas and isibonda (room reprentatives).’
- 1.2 A person in authority.
- ‘The dejected Farmworkers' union chief induna tried in exasperation to explain exactly what he threatened to do and what not.’
Xhosa and Zulu, from the nominal prefix in- + duna ‘captain, councillor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.