One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The property of an electric conductor or circuit that causes an electromotive force to be generated by a change in the current flowing.‘the inductance of the winding’count noun ‘an inductance of 40 mH’
- ‘Reactance, however, is a measure of the type of opposition to AC electricity due to capacitance or inductance.’
- ‘Currents in resistance / inductance circuits always decay exponentially, not linearly, after the power source is switched off.’
- ‘Electronically tuned matching networks using adjustable inductance elements and resonant tank circuits’
- ‘If current is decreasing, inductance will cause the current to decrease more slowly.’
- ‘The capacitance and inductance defines the resonant frequency.’
- 1.1count noun A component with the property of inductance.
- ‘Lets take an electrical circuit, with two AC sources of the same frequency, acting on a purely reactive circuit (one that is made of capacitors and/or inductances only).’
Late 19th century: from induction + -ance.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.