One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1attributive (of breath) taken in.‘she heard the swift indrawn breath of surprise’
- ‘Sterile silence, apart from a sharp indrawn breath from his own lungs every so often.’
- ‘I heard Karl's indrawn breath, I looked back at him; his fists were clenched and his face was red, although in pain or anger I could not tell.’
- ‘Jenny ran fingertips across the indrawn cheeks, so lifeless and clammy.’
- ‘He stared, motionless, and then he saw it: the almost imperceptible movement of an indrawn breath.’
- ‘With a harsh indrawn breath, I jackknife to a sitting position.’
- ‘A dead silence falls, broken only by a sharply indrawn breath of someone who has had their worst suspicions confirmed.’
- ‘A long, indrawn breath, hissingly let out in surprise.’
- ‘With an indrawn breath she reverently slid the priceless parchment from its resting place.’
- ‘For a moment she could hear his indrawn breath, then he reached around her and took the rains.’
- ‘With a prayer for her father's safety and an indrawn breath, she began.’
- ‘The bundle shifted slightly, and Diana noted with indrawn breath she was trembling.’
- ‘That new medication she had received for her moods helped most of the time, but sometimes, it just made her even more indrawn.’
- ‘With a powerful yank and a deep indrawn hiss, another of the pieces gave way.’
- ‘I hear a sharp indrawn breath and I look away from inside myself to see Sam looking anaemic, her colour is so pale.’
- ‘He heard her indrawn breath, and suddenly the flashing lights in front of his eyes dimmed, and the inexorable pounding behind his left eye receded into the night.’
2(of a person) shy and introspective.
shy, reserved, withdrawn, reticent, diffident, retiring, quiet, timid, timorous, meek, bashful, unsociableView synonyms
- ‘Diedre was rather indrawn, and had a problem connecting on a personal level.’
- ‘A little bit, like I say, generally people are becoming a little bit more indrawn, but most people are travelling very well.’
- ‘I am an indrawn person, but I like making friends with people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.