One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Avoidance of activity or exertion; laziness.‘my failure is probably due to my own indolence’
laziness, idleness, slothfulness, sloth, shiftlessness, inactivity, inaction, inertia, lifelessness, sluggishness, lethargy, languor, languidness, torpor, torpidity, slowness, dullnessView synonyms
- ‘First of all, fatness equals nonactivity in many people's eyes… not simply laziness, but mental inactivity, indolence, apathy.’
- ‘Other words suggest themselves, like indolence, laziness and the relentless pursuit of inactivity.’
- ‘I wouldn't like to use the term gradual laziness to describe the deterioration my work ethic - not when words like indolence, sloth and bone-idleness will do so much better.’
- ‘I quickly succumb to the languor and indolence that harks back to a more leisurely era.’
- ‘And at this point, I'll jovially join in and roll my eyes at my own sloth and indolence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.