Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A compound which is an acetic acid derivative of indole, especially one found as a natural growth hormone (auxin) in plants.→ auxin
- ‘A bacterial substance known as indoleacetic acid may play a part in sprout inhibition.’
- ‘In addition, various combinations of the following hormones were also added: naphthylacetic acid, 3 - indoleacetic acid, with 6-benzylaminopurine or kinetin.’
- ‘Here we show that the plant hormone indoleacetic acid (IAA) induces adhesion and filamentation of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.’
- ‘The plant hormone auxin (indoleacetic acid) plays a role in specifying the pattern of root cells, and mutations affecting its localization lead to root defects.’
- ‘One was identified as indoleacetamide and the second, indoleacetic acid.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.