One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a subfamily of Indo-European languages spoken in northern India and Iran.
- ‘Part of the Indo-Iranian subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages, Bengali is derived from Sanskrit, as are Hindi and Urdu.’
- ‘Its coastal parts were inhabited by the Greeks and the central parts were inhabited by various tribes of Indo-Iranian origin.’
- ‘Modern Persian, a part of the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European languages, is a language of great antiquity.’
- ‘The Baluchi language is an Indo-Iranian language of the Indo-European family.’
- ‘The Ossetes speak an Indo-Iranian language, and are thought to descend from Sarmatian nomads.’
- ‘But meanwhile, not a single other Indo-Iranian language - western or eastern - is as naked as Persian.’
The Indo-Iranian subfamily of languages, divided into the Indic group and the Iranian group.Also called Aryan
- ‘The term is applied to a large group of cognate languages, including the majority of European language groups as well as Indo-Iranian (Persian and Hindi) and Sanskrit.’
- ‘Repeating the exercise, we analyze the related languages - Latin, Celtic, Greek, Baltic, Slavic, Albanian, Armenian, Anatolian, Hittite, Indo-Iranian, and Tocharian.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.