Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Slightly unwell.‘my mother is indisposed’
ill, unwell, sick, on the sick list, infirm, poorly, ailing, not well, not very well, not oneself, not in good shape, out of sorts, not up to par, below par, under parView synonyms
- ‘A few years back, they needed a sub for the indisposed bass soloist in Samson.’
- ‘Fearless Leader is apparently still indisposed and couldn't make it to the studio to deliver his big patriotic speech.’
- ‘Most of them were probably indisposed right now anyway but I knew I had to get out of here.’
- ‘Sometimes when my mom was indisposed or unavailable to pick me up, Mrs. Melfield would drive me to and from places.’
- ‘Perhaps while your other assistant is temporarily indisposed, I could fill in for awhile, just to show my appreciation.’
- ‘The year 1965 was a watershed: she replaced the indisposed Marilyn Horne in a Carnegie Hall performance of Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia.’
- ‘Here, let me just wake him up… he's mildly indisposed right now, can I take a message?’
- ‘Nicole just broke up with Tom and she quite indisposed at the moment.’
2Averse; unwilling.with infinitive ‘the potential audience seemed indisposed to attend’
reluctant, unwilling, disinclined, loath, unprepared, not ready, not disposed, not keen, not minded, not in the moodView synonyms
- ‘This is a benign rather than sinister story, and I know that some may be indisposed to accept it.’
- ‘Whilst not being a trend setter, I am not indisposed to being trendy.’
- ‘When the council speaker should be indisposed to execute whose duties, the vice speaker shall act on whose behalf.’
Late Middle English: from in- ‘not’ + disposed, or past participle of indispose ‘make unwell or unwilling’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.