One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The indirectness of memory, in contrast to the directness of retention, however, remains somewhat obscure.’
- ‘There are varying degrees of directness and indirectness concerning a teacher's intervention, yet the intended purpose of changing behavior is the same.’
- ‘The indirectness of the process invites a certain familiarity.’
- ‘The indirectness of this approach relates to the pragmatics of the culture: the Navajo avoid speaking for another person or controlling the behavior of others.’
- ‘Older and newly arrived Vietnamese Americans often display indirectness and extreme politeness in dealing with others.’
- ‘With a cultural group in which indirectness is more valued, family members should not be pushed to make demands of others without trying gentle appeals and negotiation first.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.