[mass noun] Natural rubber.
- ‘Although latex was tapped from trees in parts of Assam, all the rubber from the East Indies got to be called India rubber.’
- ‘At the Paris Exposition in 1867, the displayed a model of a Harris Hospital Car and the India rubber rings used to support the stretchers.’
- ‘Five hundred pairs of India rubber boots were imported to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1823.’
- ‘In 1834, Richard Cook used India rubber for surgical gloves.’
- ‘The ball the schoolboys originally swatted was a globe of vulcanized India rubber pierced with a hole.’
- ‘He just threw me round the room as if I were an India rubber ball, and when I tried any throw, he simply wasn't there any longer.’