One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The finger next to the thumb; the forefinger.
- ‘Clench the last three fingers of your right hand leaving your index finger pointing.’
- ‘The index finger and the thumb play a vital role in gaining a firm grip over the pen or pencil being used.’
- ‘It was like commanding a force of nature with a roll of my index finger and thumb.’
- ‘He rubbed the bottom of his right eye with his thumb and tapped his index finger on his temple.’
- ‘Press them into the soil as deep as the second joint of your index finger or just a little deeper.’
- ‘He took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his index finger and thumb.’
- ‘The key visual used is a simple one of a hand with a pointing index finger.’
- ‘Her hand had resumed twirling a strand of her long brown hair around her index finger.’
- ‘There was a faint scar that sloped gently downwards from her index finger to her little finger.’
- ‘My index finger now only overlaps my middle finger a bit, but I can't bend it at all.’
- ‘He taught me how to steady the nail by holding it between my thumb and my index finger.’
- ‘Luke touches the tip of his nose with the index finger of his right hand.’
- ‘He grinned and started idly drawing shapes down my arm with his index finger.’
- ‘I stood frozen in place, the gun still raised and my index finger still pulling the trigger.’
- ‘It was important to tap with the index finger of each hand, rather than to use a wrist or arm action.’
- ‘He then repeats the process with the index finger of his right hand.’
- ‘I lost my fingerprint on my left index finger before due to a bad case of eczema.’
- ‘People laugh at me when I tie my shoelaces - it's something to do with the index finger of the left hand.’
- ‘Before I could stop myself I reached out and traced his high cheekbones and strong jaw with my index finger.’
- ‘He holds up his right hand, his index finger and thumb forming a circle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.