Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small card on which information is recorded, typically stored alphabetically with others in a card index.
- ‘Hold an official family spelling bee or trivia contest, using index cards to write down words or questions.’
- ‘From time to time, we see the main character looking at a wall covered with what looks like index cards or post-it notes.’
- ‘Each card contained a printed word separated by a blank index card.’
- ‘Rector carried on the search, poring through thousands of index cards with the names of dead soldiers.’
- ‘Use the toothpick to mix the epoxy on an index card.’
- ‘We were supposed to write the titles on an index card.’
- ‘Units of information identified in the first step were entered on separate index cards.’
- ‘Write down each word from the list below on a different index card.’
- ‘Rossetti keeps a record of all his clients on index cards.’
- ‘To make your own deck, write 1-25 twice on index cards.’
- ‘I used to waste a lot of time with index cards.’
- ‘I also appreciated your acknowledgement of the index card method.’
- ‘Please mail your question on a 3 X5 index card, in your own handwriting.’
- ‘On the first day of class every year, she passed out index cards on which we all wrote our names.’
- ‘Each was centered on a 4 "x6" white index card.’
- ‘For Pushkin's 100-page novel in verse, Nabokov filled a waist-high stack of shoeboxes with 5,000 index cards.’
- ‘The simplest, incredibly cheap file is a pack of index cards.’
- ‘They each wrote their deepest fear on an index card.’
- ‘What little we do know could fit easily onto a handful of his little index cards.’
- ‘Guest referee Matt Drudge calls out the topics from a set of index cards.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.