One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small card on which information is recorded, typically stored alphabetically with others in a card index.
- ‘Hold an official family spelling bee or trivia contest, using index cards to write down words or questions.’
- ‘Units of information identified in the first step were entered on separate index cards.’
- ‘Write down each word from the list below on a different index card.’
- ‘Rossetti keeps a record of all his clients on index cards.’
- ‘From time to time, we see the main character looking at a wall covered with what looks like index cards or post-it notes.’
- ‘Rector carried on the search, poring through thousands of index cards with the names of dead soldiers.’
- ‘The simplest, incredibly cheap file is a pack of index cards.’
- ‘I used to waste a lot of time with index cards.’
- ‘For Pushkin's 100-page novel in verse, Nabokov filled a waist-high stack of shoeboxes with 5,000 index cards.’
- ‘Each was centered on a 4 "x6" white index card.’
- ‘We were supposed to write the titles on an index card.’
- ‘Use the toothpick to mix the epoxy on an index card.’
- ‘Guest referee Matt Drudge calls out the topics from a set of index cards.’
- ‘They each wrote their deepest fear on an index card.’
- ‘To make your own deck, write 1-25 twice on index cards.’
- ‘What little we do know could fit easily onto a handful of his little index cards.’
- ‘Each card contained a printed word separated by a blank index card.’
- ‘Please mail your question on a 3 X5 index card, in your own handwriting.’
- ‘On the first day of class every year, she passed out index cards on which we all wrote our names.’
- ‘I also appreciated your acknowledgement of the index card method.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.