One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of vehicle suspension in which each wheel is supported independently of the others.
- ‘Beyond the unusual look of the car, it incorporated many new features considered standard today, such as seat belts, disc brakes, safety glass, and independent suspension.’
- ‘It had front wheel drive, fully independent suspension and disc-brakes all around with dual circuits as an additional safety feature.’
- ‘Its 40-wheel independent suspension with integrated regenerative and hydraulic braking system provides good handling and braking.’
- ‘Handling is improved with all round independent suspension, ABS brakes and an Electronic Stability Program, which helps with driver control in adverse conditions.’
- ‘There are eight wheels each with independent suspension and disk type brakes.’
- ‘The fully independent suspension features MacPherson struts in front and a semi-trailing arm design in the rear with specially tuned strut valving and spring rates.’
- ‘Four-wheel disc brakes with an antilock braking system and 4-wheel independent suspension add to the surprisingly pleasurable driving experience.’
- ‘All wheels are fitted with independent suspension.’
- ‘Firstly, the separate ladder-frame chassis is abandoned for an extremely rigid unitary construction body, while fully independent suspension replaces the previous live axles.’
- ‘They had no fuel injection, no independent suspension, no air bags, no antilock brakes, no nothing!’
- ‘MacPherson struts are used in front, a 4-link independent suspension is found out back.’
- ‘It also has a new 4-wheel independent suspension with advance multi-link rear suspension and front and rear stabilizer bars.’
- ‘The vehicle has four-wheel independent suspension.’
- ‘Permanent eight-wheeled drive, all-round independent suspension and central tyre inflation system will give excellent road and cross-country mobility.’
- ‘It had a short monocoque shell, all round independent suspension, and disc brakes as standard at the front.’
- ‘The 1949 Tucker Torpedo revolutionised US car design with innovations including an aluminium engine, independent suspension, fuel injection, seatbelts and safety glass.’
- ‘The independent suspension system has telescopic shock absorbers on each wheel.’
- ‘A middle axle assembly, comprising roadwheels and independent suspension, is fitted and the braking system is adjusted.’
- ‘What's more, while the design of the short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension is the same, the actual components are all new.’
- ‘The independent suspension brings the wheels to the ground, keeping the vehicle under control.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.