Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A form of vehicle suspension in which each wheel is supported independently of the others.
- ‘They had no fuel injection, no independent suspension, no air bags, no antilock brakes, no nothing!’
- ‘Beyond the unusual look of the car, it incorporated many new features considered standard today, such as seat belts, disc brakes, safety glass, and independent suspension.’
- ‘It had a short monocoque shell, all round independent suspension, and disc brakes as standard at the front.’
- ‘The independent suspension brings the wheels to the ground, keeping the vehicle under control.’
- ‘A middle axle assembly, comprising roadwheels and independent suspension, is fitted and the braking system is adjusted.’
- ‘All wheels are fitted with independent suspension.’
- ‘Firstly, the separate ladder-frame chassis is abandoned for an extremely rigid unitary construction body, while fully independent suspension replaces the previous live axles.’
- ‘It had front wheel drive, fully independent suspension and disc-brakes all around with dual circuits as an additional safety feature.’
- ‘It also has a new 4-wheel independent suspension with advance multi-link rear suspension and front and rear stabilizer bars.’
- ‘Four-wheel disc brakes with an antilock braking system and 4-wheel independent suspension add to the surprisingly pleasurable driving experience.’
- ‘Handling is improved with all round independent suspension, ABS brakes and an Electronic Stability Program, which helps with driver control in adverse conditions.’
- ‘The independent suspension system has telescopic shock absorbers on each wheel.’
- ‘There are eight wheels each with independent suspension and disk type brakes.’
- ‘The vehicle has four-wheel independent suspension.’
- ‘The fully independent suspension features MacPherson struts in front and a semi-trailing arm design in the rear with specially tuned strut valving and spring rates.’
- ‘The 1949 Tucker Torpedo revolutionised US car design with innovations including an aluminium engine, independent suspension, fuel injection, seatbelts and safety glass.’
- ‘Permanent eight-wheeled drive, all-round independent suspension and central tyre inflation system will give excellent road and cross-country mobility.’
- ‘Its 40-wheel independent suspension with integrated regenerative and hydraulic braking system provides good handling and braking.’
- ‘What's more, while the design of the short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension is the same, the actual components are all new.’
- ‘MacPherson struts are used in front, a 4-link independent suspension is found out back.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.