One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The critic succeeds in overturning the presumption (and thus in fully ‘bearing’ the burden of proof) if she can show that the presumption's unassailability has served only to mask its indefensibility.’
- ‘The opening briefs in the case are due next month, and the indefensibility of the program was recently revealed by the government in a sworn deposition.’
- ‘His relationship with Briseis, who resists and then falls in love with him, exposes him to the absurdity and indefensibility of his position, as the glory-seeking pawn of a monstrous expedition.’
- ‘The aspect of the moral indefensibility, the wrongness of it, because it failed to bring justice, was the driving force for me and I think the driving force for the majority of the people in my party.’
- ‘The continued refusal of Congress to routinely make available much of the work of the Congressional Research Service, a $100 million-a-year arm of the Library of Congress, is approaching the regions of indefensibility.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.