Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The period over which eggs, cells, etc. are incubated.
- ‘We found negative effects of blood parasites only during the incubation period: higher probability of clutch desertion or lower hatching success.’
- ‘Females were trapped during the last days of the incubation period or just after hatching, whereas males were trapped just after hatching.’
- ‘The female builds the nest and incubates 4 eggs, although the incubation period is not known.’
- ‘Furthermore, the length of the incubation period may be reduced by embryonic development during the laying period, which also would decrease the exposure time to predators.’
- ‘The female lays one egg at a time and the incubation period is 60 days.’
- 1.1 The period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the first symptoms.‘hepatitis B has an incubation period of 30 to 180 days’
- ‘Gonococcal urethritis, which is usually symptomatic in men, is especially useful in risk determination because the infection has a short incubation period.’
- ‘The rabies incubation period may vary from a few days to several years, but is typically one to three months.’
- ‘The time between catching the infection and the start of symptoms - the incubation period - is usually about a day.’
- ‘The disease has a long incubation period and few dementia-related deaths in the US are investigated.’
- ‘The incubation period is the time between being exposed to a disease and when the symptoms start.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.