Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not able to be compressed.
- ‘Additionally, intelligent data compression will automatically detect data that is not compressible and turn off compression for such incompressible data files.’
- ‘In our approach, we take the incompressible nature of the motion into consideration and avoid the calculation of the spatiotemporal derivatives of the images, which are often nearly singular in large regions of the images.’
- ‘A phenomenological theoretical study has modeled the edge by treating lipids as incompressible yet elastically deformable objects whose energy depends on chain extension length as well as headgroup packing density curvature.’
- ‘Hydrostats are characterized by a central volume of pressurized incompressible fluid surrounded by a membrane in tension; all amniote intromittent organs include a central space surrounded by a tensile membrane.’
- ‘I do understand that and, as I say, we are trying to compress the incompressible.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.