One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inability to do something successfully; ineptitude.‘allegations of professional incompetence’
ineptitude, ineptness, inability, lack of ability, incapability, incapacity, lack of skill, lack of proficiency, amateurishness, inexpertness, clumsiness, ineffectiveness, inadequacy, deficiency, inefficiency, ineffectuality, ineffectualness, insufficiencyView synonyms
- ‘The impression given is one of slovenliness, incompetence and inability to govern at the highest level.’
- ‘I swear that the incompetence of government departments never ceases to amaze me.’
- ‘This is the second year we have been disenfranchised by this inept system and incompetence behind its planning.’
- ‘There are so many examples of the utter incompetence of people who are supposed to be serving you in some way.’
- ‘Sometimes it was impossible to tell where bad luck stopped and incompetence or inexperience kicked in.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.