Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device for measuring the angle of inclination of something, especially from the horizontal.
- ‘Measure the steepest section with an inclinometer.’
- ‘Horizontal movement is measured by inclinometers, and multiple-point vibrating-wire piezometers provide information on groundwater pressure.’
- ‘These NG series inclinometers have been used with very good results in the mining industry, food industry, bridges, cranes, agriculture machinery, process machines, transport systems and vehicles, plus many other applications as well as OEM systems.’
- ‘It can easily be bundled with other instruments such as extensometers, inclinometers, rain gauges and piezometers.’
- ‘A nice group of levels and inclinometers were also sold.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin inclinare to incline + -meter.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.