Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A plane inclined at an angle to the horizontal.
predispose, lead, make, make of a mind to, dispose, bias, prejudiceView synonyms
- ‘A simple calculation of the area of a square would meet this criteria, as would calculating the forces acting on a particle on an inclined plane - but the understanding required to do them is vastly different.’
- ‘During that year he completely revised his treatise on mechanics and resumed his earlier studies of natural motion, discovering his first two correct theorems concerning motions along inclined planes.’
- ‘In these experiments, he rolled objects down an inclined plane; the traditional story that he dropped weights from the Leaning Tower of Pisa was a myth.’
- ‘Encourage children to make their own inclined planes to explore the speed and distance traveled by round objects of different weights and sizes.’
- ‘In particular the work contains his important idea that one could test theories about falling bodies using an inclined plane to slow down the rate of descent.’
- 1.1A sloping ramp up which heavy loads can be raised by ropes or chains.
- ‘Most of us don't need to research the physics behind inclined planes, levers, wheels, or axles to be confident that they generate power and make life easier for us large-brained, tool-making Homo sapiens.’
- ‘I'm not that smart when it comes to things that do things, like cars, pulleys, and inclined planes.’
- ‘To solve this problem, coal was lowered from the higher levels by means of an inclined plane, the long, narrow barges riding on iron frames operated by hand-winches.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.