One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The opening of a manuscript, early printed book, or chanted liturgical text.Compare with explicit
- ‘The scripts are accessed through forms which allow you to specify the manuscripts, feasts or incipits which interest you.’
- ‘Manual and printed collections of incipits permit only one type of inquiry: by the first word.’
- ‘The resolution of the facsimile at high magnification is not clear enough to see the detail of the incipits, but it is fascinating to discover more about this shadowy publication.’
- ‘It would have the theme incipits, song title, composer, and copyright dales, and any or all of these fields could be searched for.’
- ‘Each folio has the incipits of the hours of the Virgin on the recto, and the lessons, responsories and versicles from the office of the dead on the verso.’
Latin, literally ‘(here) begins’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.