One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Hinrich began the season inauspiciously, when he spent the first five games on the injured list because of a viral illness.’
- ‘Proceedings started inauspiciously for the home team, when prevailing wisdom was they needed early points to stand any chance.’
- ‘Today started inauspiciously but as it drew on became progressively more pleasant and right now I am quite happy, which seems like a good thing for a new year, and a fantastic omen for things to come.’
- ‘My career in Fleet Street began inauspiciously: the very first feature I wrote for the Guardian, more than a quarter of a century ago, elicited a libel writ.’
- ‘The second half began inauspiciously for the Scots.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.