Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Using very simple language; expressed plainly.
understandable, comprehensible, intelligible, easy to understand, plain, direct, uncomplicated, explicit, lucid, perspicuous, coherent, logical, distinct, simple, straightforward, clearly expressed, unambiguous, clear-cut, crystal clear, accessible, user-friendlyView synonyms
- ‘And if you even begin to understand how the calculation is done, please explain it to me in words of one syllable.’
- ‘Next week I will address you for the last time, and will explain clearly in words of one syllable who all the people are you should spend your time hating.’
- ‘He wanted me to reduce deep and complex ideas and issues to sound bites, to explain the meaning of life in words of one syllable.’
- ‘And if there is anyone out there who can help would you explain it to me in words of one syllable?’
- ‘Surely there should be a book somewhere explaining all this stuff in words of one syllable for otherwise intelligent adults like me.’
- ‘I'm not sure how to say it in words of one syllable that you can understand.’
- ‘But my experience is that they've got to be in words of one syllable and fit on one side of A4, preferably on one side of A5.’
- ‘We advised you in words of one syllable, and on a number of occasions throughout the meeting that although we wished to increase our activities on behalf of Npower we were unable to do so because of your actions in June and July of 2003.’
- ‘Assistants need to have everything explained to them slowly in words of one syllable, which helps all of us watching at home work to follow the more twisted technical details of the plot.’
- ‘But we have frequently been spoken to by experts in words of one syllable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.