One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a female dog) pregnant.‘busy time ahead if she is in whelp’
- ‘All puppies are kept in the cool basement in the hot weather, and during the summer our bitches in whelp are kept there also.’
- ‘Do not feed to bitches in whelp, Can be used long-term, although a break is recommended as necessary.’
- ‘After 65 days and what I thought was a bitch in whelp, has turned out to be a full blown phantom pregnancy.’
- ‘The only sure way to tell if she is pregnant will be to have a scan at around 4-5 weeks, and she will be ‘pregnant’ or in whelp for around 59-63 days.’
- ‘Even with this regime, it took one of the bitches four seasons before she finally proved in whelp.’
- ‘It is a sure indication that the bitch is in whelp and it will last throughout the rest of the pregnancy, but if the colour of the discharge changes another 5 day course is advisable.’
- ‘I now have 5 of the new breed after importing a bitch in whelp from Sweden and then breeding my Grand Champion bitch this year.’
- ‘Its over hour drive there and back - with her being in whelp don't think that is good idea.’
- ‘Hohenbruck, Thornton's first German shorthaired pointer, arrived in Missoula in whelp.’
- ‘I have found it pays best to give the bitch in whelp a generous feed of raw meat daily.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.