One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In an uncertain or critical state.‘his survival hung in the balance for days’
uncertain, unknown, undetermined, unsettled, unresolved, unsure, pending, in limbo, in no man's land, up in the air, at a turning point, critical, at a critical stage, at a crisisView synonyms
- ‘Until she can be confident that the school will be financially secure in the long-term, her future is in the balance.’
- ‘The future of cross bay walks in Morecambe Bay hangs in the balance.’
- ‘The warm weather of the last week has given way to colder conditions in the last two days putting the weekend prospects in the balance.’
- ‘Eight innocent lives were in the balance and the cheques were lying in the tray of some pen-pusher.’
- ‘In five minutes, the game had gone from hanging in the balance to having an air of predictability about it.’
- ‘At half-time the game was in the balance but it was then that a number of Coolera players moved up to a higher gear.’
- ‘There is nothing in the article about that and again it is a legitimate criticism also to be put in the balance.’
- ‘He warned that the future of the unit now hung in the balance unless it got the go-ahead from the department.’
- ‘The future of the Bell Field in Luckington still hangs in the balance after a meeting of district councillors last week.’
- ‘Their fate, however, hangs in the balance, dependent on environmental and commercial factors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.