One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In large numbers.‘security forces were out in strength’
- ‘The whole area was sanitized, and army, police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength.’
- ‘Protection staff in strength are already posted as guardians of forests.’
- ‘These fields spread out immediately through the universe without loss in strength.’
- ‘Also present in strength are storybooks and colourful encyclopaedia for children.’
- ‘The Taliban, which is growing in strength, has vowed to thwart the elections.’
- ‘Reduced to only three corps in strength, its fighting force was gravely diminished almost from the start.’
- ‘The Hampshire group is growing in strength and now has about 400 members.’
- ‘The Neary clan was out in strength and there were many more familiar faces we met during the night.’
- ‘After a US victory at the town of San Antonio in 1836, Santa Anna's forces moved north in strength to retake it.’
- ‘So last week, when media offices received an invitation for a briefing, they turned up in strength.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.