Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Seen or placed as a silhouette.‘the old windmill stood out in silhouette against the sky’
- ‘The opening moment, when a dot of light expands to fill the stage and reveal a child's rocking horse in silhouette, is not just fabulous to watch but underlines Quixote's childlike nature and the sense that all life is an illusion.’
- ‘He had his picture taken and reproduced in silhouette for a brochure put out by a contractor he was working for.’
- ‘There, standing in silhouette against a backdrop of open sky and sweeping land, stood a man and his dog.’
- ‘And it was beautiful, as you could see all the way to Whitby, crystal clear with no shimmer or haze; the pier and the Abbey were caught in silhouette, so sharply defined that by illusion they appeared quite near.’
- ‘In the foreground on the left, Babu has painted a galloping horse in silhouette, a series of four movements which culminate in the animal standing still.’
- ‘Connie sashays to the doorway where she stands in silhouette for a long, luxurious moment.’
- ‘He stood in silhouette in the doorframe, head down, leaning against the side as if exhausted.’
- ‘In these two paintings, the women are depicted impressively in silhouette, just with brownish-black faces without details of eyes, noses and mouths.’
- ‘Using the giraffe as a starting point, the logo is rendered in silhouette, and the pattern on its hide is used for abstract decoration.’
- ‘In some of the pictures the sun was behind the object being photographed, yet the details of those objects facing the camera, which should have been in silhouette, were clear and well-lit.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.