One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Unharmed or undamaged, especially after a dangerous experience.‘don't worry, I'll get you there in one piece’
unbroken, entire, whole, intact, undamaged, unharmed, unmarked, untouched, unspoiltunhurt, uninjured, unscathed, safe, safe and soundView synonyms
- ‘All Ray wants to do is avoid arguments and get through it in one piece.’
- ‘He is expected to perform at this team, just as he did at Williams, but he is also expected to score points by bringing the car home in one piece.’
- ‘Anyhow, despite most of us taking the wrong exit off the highway, we all got there in one piece.’
- ‘Her face was streaked with water and dust, and she was trembling visibly, but she seemed to be in one piece.’
- ‘Instead of accepting inevitable defeat and withdrawing with his forces in one piece, he fought and lost.’
- ‘Although the media leaders look as if they came back in one piece, they have actually suffered inside.’
- ‘I made it out of Swansea in one piece and began my trek up the coast of Wales.’
- ‘I made it back from Berkshire in one piece - I was sorry to leave, but it's good to be back home again.’
- ‘When you meddle with them, you are lucky if you come out all in one piece.’
- ‘I was given a prompt refusal when I asked for a guarantee that my computer would reach Delhi in one piece.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.