One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Privy to (a secret).
privy to, aware of, acquainted with, informed about, informed of, advised of, apprised of, mindful of, sensible ofView synonyms
- ‘Ben must have been in on the secret too, because he refused to take off his clothes.’
- ‘Neither party leader will even let their own public in on that, even if they had a clue.’
- ‘That we hear not even a peep from him is presumably due to the fact that too many sponsors and cronies are in on the great land scam.’
- ‘The filmmaker's intention is not to make fun of the audience but to let them in on the joke.’
- ‘Yet if they did they sure as hell weren't letting us in on what should hardly have been a secret.’
- ‘Everybody likes to be in on a secret, in at the start of something big.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.