One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Twice in exactly the same way.
- ‘The quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis tests were performed with measurements of sweat weight and chloride concentrations in duplicate, with sweat specimens being collected concurrently from the right and left arm.’
- ‘Eight commercially available clones containing intergenic regions from the yeast genome were used in duplicate as hybridization and data analysis controls.’
- ‘Within an experiment, all strains were grown in duplicate at each pheromone concentration and plates were randomly distributed in a sealed plastic Tupperware container with a moist paper towel to prevent drying of the small plates.’
- ‘Each sample was analyzed in duplicate, and the means of the duplicates served as data.’
- ‘The screen was performed in duplicate and repeated twice, and mutants common to both screens were characterized further.’
- ‘Each DNA specimen was analyzed at least twice in duplicate.’
- ‘All samples were run in duplicate and the results were expressed as HIV RNA copies/ml.’
- ‘Experiments were done in duplicate and a comparison of duplicates showed good agreement.’
- ‘The experiment was performed at least twice in duplicate.’
- ‘A dilution series of each experimental sample was generated and run in duplicate.’
- 1.1 Consisting of two exact copies.‘forms to complete in duplicate’
- ‘‘The only difference is that paper tickets are printed out in duplicate, whilst e-tickets are stored safely in our computer system,’ she said.’
- ‘With a changed political topography, all major public buildings - museums and opera house - were now in duplicate.’
- ‘Take note that this was in duplicate, with color, too - there were some parts which had to be in red font.’
- ‘The Application for licensing as a Customs and Excise bonded warehouse should be made on the letterhead of the applicant in duplicate and addressed to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.