One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Twice in exactly the same way.
- ‘Within an experiment, all strains were grown in duplicate at each pheromone concentration and plates were randomly distributed in a sealed plastic Tupperware container with a moist paper towel to prevent drying of the small plates.’
- ‘All samples were run in duplicate and the results were expressed as HIV RNA copies/ml.’
- ‘Each DNA specimen was analyzed at least twice in duplicate.’
- ‘The screen was performed in duplicate and repeated twice, and mutants common to both screens were characterized further.’
- ‘The experiment was performed at least twice in duplicate.’
- ‘Eight commercially available clones containing intergenic regions from the yeast genome were used in duplicate as hybridization and data analysis controls.’
- ‘A dilution series of each experimental sample was generated and run in duplicate.’
- ‘Each sample was analyzed in duplicate, and the means of the duplicates served as data.’
- ‘The quantitative pilocarpine iontophoresis tests were performed with measurements of sweat weight and chloride concentrations in duplicate, with sweat specimens being collected concurrently from the right and left arm.’
- ‘Experiments were done in duplicate and a comparison of duplicates showed good agreement.’
- 1.1 Consisting of two exact copies.‘forms to complete in duplicate’
- ‘Take note that this was in duplicate, with color, too - there were some parts which had to be in red font.’
- ‘With a changed political topography, all major public buildings - museums and opera house - were now in duplicate.’
- ‘The Application for licensing as a Customs and Excise bonded warehouse should be made on the letterhead of the applicant in duplicate and addressed to the Commissioner for Customs and Excise.’
- ‘‘The only difference is that paper tickets are printed out in duplicate, whilst e-tickets are stored safely in our computer system,’ she said.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.