One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Concerned with one's own thoughts and not aware of what is happening around one.‘he is in a world of his own and is frequently carried away by his own flights of fancy’
absent-minded, preoccupied, absorbed, engrossed, far away, somewhere else, not there, not with us, abstracted, with one's head in the clouds, daydreaming, dreamy, inattentive, distracted, thoughtful, pensive, lost in thought, deep in thought, immersed in thought, wool-gathering, in a brown study, musing, brooding, absent, distrait, heedless, obliviousView synonyms
- ‘The referee appeared to be in a world of his own.’
- ‘Many visitors felt that he lived in a world of his own.’
- ‘He seemed to be in a world of his own.’
- ‘Today, my father lives in a world of his own.’
- ‘There is no empathy with the public, for they live in a world of their own.’
- ‘Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was trapped in a world of his own making.’
- ‘They were spellbound in a world of their own.’
- ‘Like all fantasists, Terence Cooper lived in a world of his own.’
- ‘We were in a world of our own.’
- ‘He was living in a world of his own.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.