One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
So as to give a specified impression.‘the audit portrayed the company in a favourable light’
- ‘Arguing that the U.S. is failing when the evidence seems ambiguous does not cast him in an attractive light.’
- ‘If the phrase ‘traditional marriage’ casts one's view on the matter in an unfavourable light, then by all means, use a different one.’
- ‘It's not the first time corporations have agreed to show their products in an uncomplimentary light.’
- ‘All too often you're talking to two sides eager to portray themselves in a sympathetic light.’
- ‘She claims, however, the book casts her in an unflattering light and has cost her her job and her reputation.’
- ‘Am I the only one who sees this sport in an erotic light?’
- ‘Nor does it stop one school being compared with another in an unfair light.’
- ‘The incident cast the police in an ugly light and their brutality was questioned by many.’
- ‘You know, it doesn't even show the military in an unflattering light, it's more warts-and-all kind of thing.’
- ‘Even at this early stage we begin to see them in a different light.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.