One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a mare) pregnant.
- ‘The young attractive mares in foal to good stallions always sell well, but beyond that I'm not sure what to expect.’
- ‘She stopped at the stall of a bay mare heavy with foal.’
- ‘Also included in the catalog are mares in foal to young stallions Sakhee, Golan, Daylami, and Noverre.’
- ‘Jennymeg, a seven-year-old mare in foal to Two Punch, brought a session-topping price of $50,000 from Hector Alcalde.’
- ‘There are mares in foal in nearby fields on top of the fact that it is lambing season.’
- ‘He is waiting to see if one of his precious mares is in foal.’
- ‘Norwegian Wood, an unraced mare believed to be in foal to Millennium Wind, is a half sister to 1994 Horse of the Year and multiple Grade 1 winner Holy Bull.’
- ‘Three mares listed in foal to Danjur, who set a track record for five furlongs in winning the 1996 Churchill Downs Turf Sprint Stakes, are in the catalog.’
- ‘Other mares will be sold in foal to Alphabet Soup, El Prado, Golden Missile, Lit de Justice, Running Stag, and Wild Rush.’
- ‘Mermaid's Tale, an unraced six-year-old mare believed to be in foal to Unbridled's Song, brought the third-highest price of the session.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.