One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a mare) pregnant.
- ‘There are mares in foal in nearby fields on top of the fact that it is lambing season.’
- ‘Norwegian Wood, an unraced mare believed to be in foal to Millennium Wind, is a half sister to 1994 Horse of the Year and multiple Grade 1 winner Holy Bull.’
- ‘Jennymeg, a seven-year-old mare in foal to Two Punch, brought a session-topping price of $50,000 from Hector Alcalde.’
- ‘She stopped at the stall of a bay mare heavy with foal.’
- ‘Three mares listed in foal to Danjur, who set a track record for five furlongs in winning the 1996 Churchill Downs Turf Sprint Stakes, are in the catalog.’
- ‘Also included in the catalog are mares in foal to young stallions Sakhee, Golan, Daylami, and Noverre.’
- ‘Other mares will be sold in foal to Alphabet Soup, El Prado, Golden Missile, Lit de Justice, Running Stag, and Wild Rush.’
- ‘Mermaid's Tale, an unraced six-year-old mare believed to be in foal to Unbridled's Song, brought the third-highest price of the session.’
- ‘He is waiting to see if one of his precious mares is in foal.’
- ‘The young attractive mares in foal to good stallions always sell well, but beyond that I'm not sure what to expect.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.