One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without much effort; easily.‘they retained their leadership of the Second Division at a canter’
- ‘After winning the World Cup at a canter, save for that epic semi-final against South Africa, the Wallabies failed to convince in their two-match series against Argentina.’
- ‘At the end of a long and one-sided year - Federer won everything that mattered and did it at a canter - the top four men had clearly set themselves above the rest of the pack.’
- ‘She was cool as a cucumber against Seles in the quarter-finals and though she wobbled slightly when match point up against Hingis in the semis, Pierce eventually won at a canter.’
- ‘His lead was briefly threatened by the 66 of the runner-up, who had started the final day well back in the field, but ‘Champagne’ Tony was eventually able to stroll home in a canter.’
- ‘Hull Zingari, who were the last champions of the now defunct Ridings League, won their first game in the York Senior League in a canter when Castleford crashed to a nine wicket defeat at Chanterlands Avenue.’
- ‘Although Jonny Wilkinson's decisive kick against Australia came just over 12 months ago, it is easy to forget how close Clive Woodward's men came to losing a match that they really should have won at a canter.’
- ‘We found ourselves fighting an uphill battle after that and to be honest they won it at a canter at the end.’
- ‘Liverpool won this match in a canter and it was a case of men against boys in the midfield.’
- ‘Under normal circumstances, we could write it off as no contest; the Six Nations champions would win in a canter, and by a massive margin.’
- ‘With superleague new boys Belfast Giants having already won the title at a canter, it is exactly such factors that make the success of the Ahearne Trophy all the more important.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.