One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Without much effort; easily.‘they retained their leadership of the Second Division at a canter’
- ‘We found ourselves fighting an uphill battle after that and to be honest they won it at a canter at the end.’
- ‘With superleague new boys Belfast Giants having already won the title at a canter, it is exactly such factors that make the success of the Ahearne Trophy all the more important.’
- ‘After winning the World Cup at a canter, save for that epic semi-final against South Africa, the Wallabies failed to convince in their two-match series against Argentina.’
- ‘Liverpool won this match in a canter and it was a case of men against boys in the midfield.’
- ‘Under normal circumstances, we could write it off as no contest; the Six Nations champions would win in a canter, and by a massive margin.’
- ‘His lead was briefly threatened by the 66 of the runner-up, who had started the final day well back in the field, but ‘Champagne’ Tony was eventually able to stroll home in a canter.’
- ‘At the end of a long and one-sided year - Federer won everything that mattered and did it at a canter - the top four men had clearly set themselves above the rest of the pack.’
- ‘She was cool as a cucumber against Seles in the quarter-finals and though she wobbled slightly when match point up against Hingis in the semis, Pierce eventually won at a canter.’
- ‘Hull Zingari, who were the last champions of the now defunct Ridings League, won their first game in the York Senior League in a canter when Castleford crashed to a nine wicket defeat at Chanterlands Avenue.’
- ‘Although Jonny Wilkinson's decisive kick against Australia came just over 12 months ago, it is easy to forget how close Clive Woodward's men came to losing a match that they really should have won at a canter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.