The state of being imprisoned; captivity.‘he was sentenced to two months' imprisonment’
incarceration, internment, confinement, detention, custody, captivityView synonyms
- ‘All sentences were to be concurrent, so his sentence was a total of five years' imprisonment.’
- ‘While out of prison he committed a cheque fraud for which he was sentenced to six years' imprisonment.’
- ‘The offence is punishable under the United States law by more than one year of imprisonment.’
- ‘Is the limitation on telephone contact with the media a part of the sentence of imprisonment itself?’
- ‘A sentence of imprisonment is intended to restrict the rights and freedoms of a prisoner.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.