One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Where Livy seeks to build a seamless account of Rome's noble and quasi-mythological heritage, Augustine seeks to bring to light the logical contradictions, cruelty, and impiousness of pagan Rome.’
- ‘And it is only insofar as such prophecies were ratified by catastrophes (as, indeed, was the case from Elijah to Jeremiah) that historical events acquired religious significance; i.e., that they clearly appeared as punishments inflicted by the Lord in return for the impiousness of Israel.’
- ‘Money has shown men how to practise villainy, and taught them impiousness in every action!’
- ‘We remember several scenes where Jesus challenges the impiousness of various priests.’
- ‘The impiousness of the fishwife's final ambition links her with Marlowe's Faustus as well as with Lady Macbeth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.