Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The condition of being or process of becoming impacted, especially of faeces in the intestine.
- ‘The diagnosis of foreign-body aspiration with secondary mucoid impaction in healthy adults is subtle.’
- ‘Constipation is a serious problem, because patients with PD are particularly susceptible to impaction, obstruction, volvulus, and paralytic ileus.’
- ‘The medical history should also identify such contributing factors as diabetes, stroke, lumbar disc disease, chronic lung disease, fecal impaction and cognitive impairment.’
- ‘Complications from capsule endoscopy, such as impaction and small bowel stricture, have been reported.’
- ‘The relation to mucoid impaction of the bronchus and acute bronchopulmonary fungal disease should also be re-evaluated.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.