Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a major impact or effect:‘an eye-catching and impactful design’
- ‘We do a lot of regional advertising and this is the most impactful thing we have ever done.’
- ‘That is because they are cultural and entertainment reporters and they are less impactful.’
- ‘Is this the best foundation for making large, impactful decisions?’
- ‘We didn't know how impactful that article would be.’
- ‘There are many ways to speak to someone, shouting and whispering can be very impactful in the right context.’
- ‘A more impactful approach is automated and policy-based, so that manual steps are removed.’
- ‘This war is not impactful enough to raise the issue this time.’
- ‘As Wilson points out, full-sleeve labels not only offer more room for color but for impactful graphics.’
- ‘People have realized that the visuals are usually the most impactful of all the five sensory organs.’
- ‘Connection is the essential element to an impactful talk.’
- ‘For many this can be an impactful springboard.’
- ‘The most impactful experiences involved standing beneath your skylight which we all know by now is a vortex.’
- ‘This technique distances the reader from the action, rendering some potentially impactful scenes dull and turgid.’
- ‘It was an impactful moment for both of us.’
- ‘He vowed to become more loving, more inspiring, more impactful in his life, especially to his family.’
- ‘They will make room in their lives for you only if you are diligent in writing truly impactful blogs.’
- ‘Nonetheless, debate remains a series of discontinuous leaps, structured by impactful posting.’
- ‘Of all these roles, the most impactful is the Anthropologist.’
- ‘And the one day that I went was unbelievably impactful.’
- ‘I found the film extremely moving and very impactful.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.