Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A technique for the identification of proteins in serum or other fluid by electrophoresis and subsequent immunodiffusion.
- ‘The immunoglobulin type can be determined by immunoelectrophoresis or immunofixation electrophoresis.’
- ‘The diagnosis is confirmed by serum and/or protein immunoelectrophoresis, which reveals an increased amount of immunoglobulin gamma heavy chain not associated with light chain.’
- ‘Serum immunoelectrophoresis did not reveal hyper - proteinemia or paraproteinemia.’
- ‘Isoelectric focusing (or crossed immunoelectrophoresis and starch gel electrophoresis in early reports) was considered the ‘gold standard’ for phenotyping.’
- ‘The abnormal variant in both cases bound heparin normally but failed to bind dermatan sulfate as demonstrated by crossed immunoelectrophoresis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.