Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique for detecting or measuring antibodies and antigens by their precipitation when diffused together through a gel or other medium.
- ‘The author performed immunoprecipitation with immunodiffusion, using Petri dishes that contained 15 ml of 1.2% agarose in a barbital buffer.’
- ‘Immunologic or antigenic fibrinogen can be quantitated by radial immunodiffusion or enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.’
- ‘Radial immunodiffusion may be used as a means of demonstrating measurement of immunoglobulin levels.’
- ‘Little impetus has existed for the development of modern enzyme immunologic assay methods, and most laboratories still perform commercial radial immunodiffusion methods to quantify the antigenic form of antithrombin.’
- ‘Twenty-four hours after treatment, leaves were ground with a mortar and the expressed leaf extract was analyzed for proteinase inhibitor concentrations by radial immunodiffusion as described previously.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.