Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for immune deficiency
- ‘Chapter 8 further discusses immunity and immunodeficiencies, including an introduction to acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.’
- ‘If such warning signs are detected early enough, doctors can sometimes successfully treat people suffering from primary immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘The internationally accepted term is now the human immunodeficiency virus.’
- ‘Furthermore, children with humoral immunodeficiencies often have infections in other sites such as ears, lung, and skin.’
- ‘Surgical excision has the potential risk of rendering a child athymic and prone for developing immune dysregulation and immunodeficiencies.’
- ‘The combination regimen is used as an antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus infection.’
- ‘Her human immunodeficiency virus status was negative.’
- ‘An international team of scientists has managed to cure a child with severe combined immunodeficiency using gene therapy.’
- ‘Dioxin, its deadly component, can cause an increased risk of cancers, immunodeficiencies, reproductive and developmental changes, nervous system problems and other health effects, according to medical experts.’
- ‘Patients with humoral primary immunodeficiencies have an intact cellular immune system; thus, they are able to handle most viral and fungal pathogens, a factor that can help to distinguish these disorders clinically.’
- ‘Persons with comorbid conditions, such as diabetes, immunodeficiency, or impaired circulation, are at increased risk.’
- ‘Similarly, persons with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome are susceptible to systemic candidal infection.’
- ‘He did all this while managing patients with primary and secondary immunodeficiencies and allergy.’
- ‘With more than 70 disorders classified as congenital immunodeficiencies and other syndromes in which immunodeficiency is a significant component, it is somewhat overwhelming to attempt a thorough cataloging.’
- ‘Primary immunodeficiency diseases caused by genetic polymorphisms are now largely diagnosable with molecular probes.’
- ‘Children, patients who have diabetes, or patients who have immunodeficiencies are more susceptible to gram-negative infections and may require treatment with a second- or third-generation cephalosporin.’
- ‘It is now 20 years since the immunodeficiency syndrome that came to be known as AIDS was first reported.’
- ‘The human immunodeficiency virus attacks the immune system.’
- ‘The section on primary immunodeficiencies is a particular strength.’
- ‘Sometimes a person is born with an immunodeficiency - these are called primary immunodeficiencies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.