Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The organs and processes of the body that provide resistance to infection and toxins. Organs include the thymus, bone marrow, and lymph nodes.
- ‘Allergies are caused by the body's immune system reacting to allergens as if they were harmful.’
- ‘The body's immune system reacts to both these infections by attacking the bacteria.’
- ‘People with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop abscesses.’
- ‘In comparison with people not in hospital, they are more likely to have a weakened immune system.’
- ‘Premature babies are at increased risk of infection because their immune systems are immature.’
- ‘One important effect of the polio vaccine is to stimulate the immune system within the gut.’
- ‘The infection causes the immune system to activate white blood cells and chemicals to fight the bacteria.’
- ‘The body's immune system responds by creating a membrane around this infected portion of the brain.’
- ‘It may also affect the immune system and lead to an increased frequency of infections.’
- ‘During this time your body effectively has no immune system and you are at increased risk from infection.’
- ‘Others have immune systems suppressed by chemotherapy or anti-rejection drugs.’
- ‘Why shouldn't alternative therapies that make you feel better boost your immune system?’
- ‘Children and people with lowered immune systems may remain infectious for longer.’
- ‘These infections only affect people whose immune systems are not working properly as a result of another illness or treatments for cancer.’
- ‘To be infectious it would have to survive cooking, digestion, and the human immune system.’
- ‘In most cases lung infection is well controlled by the immune system, and shows no symptoms.’
- ‘Once the immune system has been damaged, opportunistic infections begin to appear.’
- ‘Finally, much of the toxicity related to gene transfer is mediated through the immune system.’
- ‘They also discovered that the host animal must have a healthy immune system for infection to take hold.’
- ‘Other risk factors include poor diet, smoking and a weakened immune system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.