One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The organs and processes of the body that provide resistance to infection and toxins. Organs include the thymus, bone marrow, and lymph nodes.
- ‘People with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop abscesses.’
- ‘Allergies are caused by the body's immune system reacting to allergens as if they were harmful.’
- ‘Premature babies are at increased risk of infection because their immune systems are immature.’
- ‘Why shouldn't alternative therapies that make you feel better boost your immune system?’
- ‘In most cases lung infection is well controlled by the immune system, and shows no symptoms.’
- ‘To be infectious it would have to survive cooking, digestion, and the human immune system.’
- ‘The body's immune system reacts to both these infections by attacking the bacteria.’
- ‘In comparison with people not in hospital, they are more likely to have a weakened immune system.’
- ‘One important effect of the polio vaccine is to stimulate the immune system within the gut.’
- ‘It may also affect the immune system and lead to an increased frequency of infections.’
- ‘These infections only affect people whose immune systems are not working properly as a result of another illness or treatments for cancer.’
- ‘Others have immune systems suppressed by chemotherapy or anti-rejection drugs.’
- ‘The body's immune system responds by creating a membrane around this infected portion of the brain.’
- ‘They also discovered that the host animal must have a healthy immune system for infection to take hold.’
- ‘During this time your body effectively has no immune system and you are at increased risk from infection.’
- ‘Once the immune system has been damaged, opportunistic infections begin to appear.’
- ‘The infection causes the immune system to activate white blood cells and chemicals to fight the bacteria.’
- ‘Other risk factors include poor diet, smoking and a weakened immune system.’
- ‘Finally, much of the toxicity related to gene transfer is mediated through the immune system.’
- ‘Children and people with lowered immune systems may remain infectious for longer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.