Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a computer display or system) generating a three-dimensional image which appears to surround the user.
- ‘It represents the most advanced and immersive interactive sports television experience created to date.’
- ‘Their aim is simple: to generate a truly immersive virtual reality environment that has a useful commercial function.’
- ‘Spatial sound has been available for several years and primarily is employed in immersive virtual environments.’
- ‘In the same way, games writers now need to move on a generation to what we shall call ‘continuous immersive absorption’ into a game.’
- ‘Making the experience immersive by using more realistic graphics is another way of gaining attentional focus.’
- ‘Gaming is one of the most effective interactive and immersive learning techniques.’
- ‘Computer games are an intricate blend of immersive graphics and creative gameplay programming.’
- ‘For day-to-day use, the quality is fine, but it isn't suited for those of you looking for an immersive audio experience.’
- ‘It is a low-cost 3D immersive viewing system with a wide range of applications.’
- ‘The idea is that the more players can genuinely change and create the online worlds, the more immersive they will be.’
- ‘It's a title so immersive and so awe-inspiring that every passion you ever had flares anew, and that game truly does become an experience.’
- ‘I think, if demoed and marketed in a way that truly shows off its immersive control system and special features, it will be a major success worldwide.’
- ‘The researchers have examined these and other questions by monitoring volunteers in an immersive driving simulator.’
- ‘The Dolby Digital 5.1 surround mix is immersive, involving, and consistently active.’
- ‘An immersive surround track would have been great in many of the scenes, but one is not to be found in any of the three options.’
- ‘He believes 3D displays will push the boundaries of games, enabling the most immersive experience possible.’
- ‘So, shouldn't a truly immersive 3D experience include a way of recreating binocular vision?’
- ‘In the end, this approach proves to provide a much more immersive, intense experience that we think you'll really enjoy.’
- ‘Certainly, if you have the speakers, 7.1 sound should be more immersive than 5.1.’
- ‘Audio budgets are often given short shrift, even as sound design becomes more critical in today's immersive titles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.