One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric heating element that is positioned in the liquid to be heated, typically in a domestic hot-water tank.
- ‘Heating is by means of an oil-fired central heating system which is augmented by a separate immersion heater for the hot water supply.’
- ‘I have an immersion heater so we'll have hot water, but the radiators are stone cold and it's chilly this evening.’
- ‘It is believed the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the wiring of an electric immersion heater.’
- ‘Keep water flowing in colder climates by adding an immersion heater to an existing birdbath.’
- ‘She has hot water because that is heated through an immersion heater.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.