Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An electric heating element that is positioned in the liquid to be heated, typically in a domestic hot-water tank.
- ‘It is believed the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the wiring of an electric immersion heater.’
- ‘Heating is by means of an oil-fired central heating system which is augmented by a separate immersion heater for the hot water supply.’
- ‘She has hot water because that is heated through an immersion heater.’
- ‘I have an immersion heater so we'll have hot water, but the radiators are stone cold and it's chilly this evening.’
- ‘Keep water flowing in colder climates by adding an immersion heater to an existing birdbath.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.