One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electric heating element that is positioned in the liquid to be heated, typically in a domestic hot-water tank.
- ‘Heating is by means of an oil-fired central heating system which is augmented by a separate immersion heater for the hot water supply.’
- ‘She has hot water because that is heated through an immersion heater.’
- ‘Keep water flowing in colder climates by adding an immersion heater to an existing birdbath.’
- ‘It is believed the cause of the fire was an electrical fault in the wiring of an electric immersion heater.’
- ‘I have an immersion heater so we'll have hot water, but the radiators are stone cold and it's chilly this evening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.