One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The doctrine that God preserved the Virgin Mary from the taint of original sin from the moment she was conceived; it was defined as a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1854.
- ‘Soon afterwards, in 1694, following a practice that had spread in Spanish universities, she signed with her own blood a private vow to defend the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception!’
- ‘Some folks think there's a huge significance to the fact that the Eastern Church has no doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.’
- ‘The pope's trip commemorates the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of the Immaculate Conception, the dogma that says Mary was born without original sin.’
- ‘Throughout the centuries, the Franciscan Order promoted the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, which sought to absolve the Virgin of Original Sin, supposedly transmitted to her by St Anne.’
- ‘In a long and learned review of the theological history behind the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, Boss shows how in modern times Christians, too, have participated in dividing body and spirit.’
- ‘In 1854 he defined the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (the Mother of Jesus Christ) and encouraged the Marian cult.’
- ‘In Washington, the Catholic Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and eighth-largest in the world.’
- 1.1 The feast commemorating the Immaculate Conception on December 8th.
- ‘There will be an all-night vigil at Knock shrine on Sunday, December 7, in preparation for the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8.’
- ‘December 8th is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is a Holy Day of obligation.’
- ‘This is a week-long celebration of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception held around December 8.’
- ‘The feast of Santiago on 25 July is a national holiday, as is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, 8 December, which is also Spain's Mother's Day.’
- ‘In December, 1999, Sr Elvira arrived at Aughtaboy with eight young men and the house was officially opened on the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 1999.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.