One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The doctrine that God preserved the Virgin Mary from the taint of original sin from the moment she was conceived; it was defined as a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1854.
- ‘In 1854 he defined the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (the Mother of Jesus Christ) and encouraged the Marian cult.’
- ‘Throughout the centuries, the Franciscan Order promoted the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, which sought to absolve the Virgin of Original Sin, supposedly transmitted to her by St Anne.’
- ‘In Washington, the Catholic Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and eighth-largest in the world.’
- ‘The pope's trip commemorates the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of the Immaculate Conception, the dogma that says Mary was born without original sin.’
- ‘In a long and learned review of the theological history behind the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, Boss shows how in modern times Christians, too, have participated in dividing body and spirit.’
- ‘Some folks think there's a huge significance to the fact that the Eastern Church has no doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.’
- ‘Soon afterwards, in 1694, following a practice that had spread in Spanish universities, she signed with her own blood a private vow to defend the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception!’
- 1.1 The feast commemorating the Immaculate Conception on December 8th.
- ‘There will be an all-night vigil at Knock shrine on Sunday, December 7, in preparation for the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8.’
- ‘In December, 1999, Sr Elvira arrived at Aughtaboy with eight young men and the house was officially opened on the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 1999.’
- ‘December 8th is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is a Holy Day of obligation.’
- ‘This is a week-long celebration of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception held around December 8.’
- ‘The feast of Santiago on 25 July is a national holiday, as is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, 8 December, which is also Spain's Mother's Day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.