Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The doctrine that God preserved the Virgin Mary from the taint of original sin from the moment she was conceived; it was defined as a dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1854.
- ‘In a long and learned review of the theological history behind the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, Boss shows how in modern times Christians, too, have participated in dividing body and spirit.’
- ‘Some folks think there's a huge significance to the fact that the Eastern Church has no doctrine of the Immaculate Conception.’
- ‘The pope's trip commemorates the 150th anniversary of the proclamation of the Immaculate Conception, the dogma that says Mary was born without original sin.’
- ‘Soon afterwards, in 1694, following a practice that had spread in Spanish universities, she signed with her own blood a private vow to defend the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception!’
- ‘In Washington, the Catholic Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and eighth-largest in the world.’
- ‘In 1854 he defined the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (the Mother of Jesus Christ) and encouraged the Marian cult.’
- ‘Throughout the centuries, the Franciscan Order promoted the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, which sought to absolve the Virgin of Original Sin, supposedly transmitted to her by St Anne.’
- 1.1The feast commemorating the Immaculate Conception on December 8th.
- ‘In December, 1999, Sr Elvira arrived at Aughtaboy with eight young men and the house was officially opened on the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8, 1999.’
- ‘The feast of Santiago on 25 July is a national holiday, as is the feast of the Immaculate Conception, 8 December, which is also Spain's Mother's Day.’
- ‘This is a week-long celebration of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception held around December 8.’
- ‘December 8th is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and is a Holy Day of obligation.’
- ‘There will be an all-night vigil at Knock shrine on Sunday, December 7, in preparation for the feast of the Immaculate Conception on December 8.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.