One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound used to treat depression.
- ‘Because he is young and has no comorbidities, imipramine at a dosage of 50 mg daily would be a reasonable first choice of medication.’
- ‘Antidepressants included in the trials were imipramine, amitriptyline, desipramine, phenylzine, isocaboxazid, brofaramine, fluoxetine, mianserin, and bupropion.’
- ‘Most studies used amitriptyline and imipramine.’
- ‘When Ritalin and the antidepressant imipramine are taken together, blood levels of imipramine may be higher than expected.’
- ‘The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical efficacy of hypericum extract and compare it with the recommended dose of imipramine, one of the most commonly used tricyclic antidepressants.’
- ‘Desmopressin and imipramine or other tricyclics are well-known treatments for bedwetting.’
- ‘Antidepressant medications commonly used to treat bulimia include desipramine, imipramine, and fluoxetine.’
- ‘In the past, imipramine (brand name: Tofranil) was used to treat bed-wetting.’
- ‘The herbal preparation exhibited an antidepressant effect comparable with that induced by imipramine, supporting the use of this preparation as a mood stabilizer.’
- ‘An inadequate response to methylphenidate was followed first by a trial of dextroamphetamine, then pemoline and then imipramine.’
- ‘Desmopressin and imipramine are the primary drugs used in the treatment of nocturnal enuresis.’
- ‘Because of the tolerance profile of imipramine it was probably easy for the patients to guess whether they were receiving St John's wort or imipramine.’
- ‘The authors conclude that an average dosage of hypericum extract, 350 mg three times daily, appears to be as efficacious as imipramine in relieving moderate depressive symptoms.’
- ‘One case controlled study found no evidence that imipramine or fluoxetine increased the rate of malformations in pregnancy.’
- ‘From this one small trial you draw the tentative conclusion that desmopressin and imipramine have similar effectiveness, and you therefore evaluate the data on adverse effects in order to determine which is the better choice.’
- ‘The authors conclude that hypericum and imipramine were therapeutically equivalent during the six-week treatment period.’
- ‘A drug called imipramine, which is used as an antidepressant in adults, may help by improving the child's sleep patterns or affecting the way the bladder muscles of the bladder work.’
- ‘Another class of drugs used to relax the bladder is tricyclic antidepressants, such as imipramine, nortriptyline, and desipramine.’
- ‘Isolated instances of such damage have been reported with such drugs as benoxaprofen, chlorpromazine, haloperidol, imipramine, and others.’
- ‘Amitriptyline was the most frequently studied drug, followed by imipramine.’
1950s: from imi(ne) + pr(opyl) + amine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.