One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gathering, usually called by a traditional leader.
- ‘Attending the imbizo were mayors, councillors and ward committees from the OR Tambo District Municipality.’
- ‘He asked him to arrange an imbizo with traditional leaders, saying there were many questions they wanted to ask.’
- ‘‘The meeting (of cabinet) noted that this issue did not arise in any of the imbizos with the mass of the people during the course of last week.’’
- ‘One of the participants at the imbizo complained that though people had cellular phones in this rural and mountainous area, they could not use them.’
- ‘The imbizo is aimed at strengthening ties between government and the public.’
From Zulu biza ‘summon, call’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.