Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who devises and implements a new or highly imaginative concept or technology, in particular one who devises the attractions in Walt Disney theme parks.
- ‘However, just as the media barons were predominantly male, so were their imagineers.’
- ‘It turns out that they're hucksters, though - they go to improbably lengths to set up hoax monsters that would earn respect from Disneyworld's imagineers.’
- ‘In the absence of hard evidence and faced with an event which looked so much like the popcorn Armageddon of Hollywood's top imagineers, the public have been turning to esoteric sources for explanation and comfort.’
- ‘Disney's imagineers have scoured the color spectrum and discovered the shades least noticeable to the human eye.’
- ‘Given the ridiculous prophecies of floating cities and flying cars envisioned by the imagineers of last century, it's sound advice.’
Devise and implement (a new or highly imaginative concept or technology)‘theme parks are benefiting from a new era of imagineering’
- ‘Yet all of this mediocre imagineering will probably not matter much to the genre crowd.’
- ‘It seems like the people over at Disney have imagineered a great way to save money.’
- ‘They don't understand the need to imagineer the smart society and think out of the box.’
- ‘Take, for example, a new packaging concept imagineered recently in the online industry newsletter.’
- ‘When hikers discovered that a good view was being obstructed by trees, the government would unleash lumberjacks - and cows - to deforest the area, imagineering the scene back into the Platonic tourist ideal.’
1940s: from imagine, on the pattern of engineer.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.